WINE & SPIRITS MAGAZINE - YEAR'S BEST RHÔNE ISSUE -FEB.2014
Over 271 new-release Rhone wines were tasted, with only 22 of them being Best Buy - 6 of them Louis Bernard wines :
- 2012 Côtes du Rhône Villages 'Louis Bernard' - 90, Best Buy -
"A savory red, this is all seedy raspberry fruit and gravelly minerality, with tannins that pin the flavor to the tongue. It lasts, earthy and austere, sophisticated country wine for lamb."
- 2011 - Gigondas ''Les Carbonnières'' - 89, Best Buy -
"This is big and oaky, with a thick wrapping of chocolaty fruit on the conservable tannins. Despite its size, it retains a cool feel, the acidity flowing through it like a breeze. An ambitious wine, it needs time and steakhouse fare."
- 2012 - Côtes du Rhône 'Domaine le Garrigon - Cuvée des Vieux Truffiers' - 88, Best Buy -
"From an organically farmed estate in Tulette, just north of Cairanne, this is supple giving, with a floral note that lifts it out of the blackness of its fruit and keeps it feeling fresh."
- 2011 - Lirac 'Domaine des Causses' - 87, Best Buy
"A glug-able red, as one tasted said, this is lushly purple in flavor and scent with light spice."
- 2010 - Luberon 'Louis Bernard' red - 87, Best Buy
"Cherry bright and gamey, this is an easy pour for grilled fennel sausages."
- 2011 - Côtes du Rhône 'Château Noël Saint Laurent' - 87, Best Buy
"This is waxy and broad, with earth and herbal notes curbing the sweetness of the fruit. Give it a light chill for a goat cheese salad."